Last year, Evan and I decided we wanted to throw a Christmas Party in our new home. We wanted to do something different than the usual “Tacky Christmas Sweater” parties. I debated on what we should do and I think I finally found the idea of the Plaid Party on Pinterest. Everyone seemed to enjoy it last year, so we thought why not make it an annual tradition!
The party didn’t start til 8, so I prepared very little food. I believe we had the exact same food last year! I made some ham rolls using Hawaiian bread, ham, Swiss cheese, mustard and poppy seed. I can’t forget the butter, too! They are so easy and so yummy! My girl, Heather Cannon of All Sugared Up, made some beautiful cookies for me. Seriously, check her out on Instagram, allsugaredup17. My mom makes “white trash” every Christmas season, which is Chex mix, pretzels, and M&M’s smothered in white chocolate. She sent over a tin of that for the party! Melissa brought over some freshly baked monkey bread (be looking for a food Friday post on that). My mom also prepared a delicious cranberry spread that I put over cream cheese. Everyone was asking for the recipe, so here it is:
CRANBERRY-JALAPENO CREAM CHEESE DIP INGREDIENTS:
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 4-5 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about one large lemon)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 ounces each) packages of cream cheese light or regular, softened
- Crackers for serving
- Pulse the cranberries in a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped. Add all other ingredients, excluding the cream cheese, until well combined or finely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a covered bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours (or up to overnight)so the flavors have time to develop and the cranberries lose a bit of their tartness.
- When ready to serve, spread the cream cheese in an even layer on a serving plate or 9 inch pie dish. Top with the cranberry-jalapeno mixture, spreading evenly over the top of cream cheese.
- Refrigerate for up to an hour before serving. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
I only used one package of cream cheese and half of the cranberry-jalapeno mixture to fit it in my moms Christmas tree dish!
Three Tiered Serving Dish: Macy’s (on sale) | Plaid Table Runner: Amazon| Plaid Tablecloth (not pictured): Amazon | Spode Christmas Tree Dish: Macy’s (on sale) | Cheers Spreader: Swoozie’s (also locally at Something Special)
As I have mentioned before, I have a thing for table runners. You should see my hall closet, it is full of table runners and table cloths! I found a pretty plaid runner and table cloth on Amazon this year. I found some plaid napkins, paper plates, and wrapping paper at T.J. Maxx about a month ago. The wrapping paper was used for the backdrop for pictures. I found the tinsel garland at our local Dollar Tree. It wasn’t the prettiest backdrop, but it got the job done! Check out these party people!
Fun was had by all and the ham rolls were completely devoured once again! Until next year, ya’ll! Merry PLAID Christmas from the Gangaware’s!